We've all wondered how, exactly, one should act on the first date. I've written this article to give you a couple of pointers on impressing them honestly. Hopefully, for your sake, you can create a wonderful, eye-opening experience for the both of you.
1. Dress for the occasion. Now you may say, we'll that's obvious, idiot. But the thing is, many people still fail to dress properly on their first date. They become nervous and/or OCD and either overdress, or the opposite (god forbid. If you end up looking terrible instead of overdressed... let's just say that you'll wish you made the second choice.)
Now here are some examples. If you are going to a movie (a terrible date by the way unless you have something else planed before or after), come in a T-shirt and jeans. Don't show up in a tie or something too casual whatever you do. If you go to a fancy restaurant, still lose the tie, but come very casual. It is my personal belief that a tie should only be worn on a few occasions: chruch, work, or if you're getting married, which, in any case, you shouldn't be doing that on your first date. I don't care how rich you are.
2. Keep some mystery. Now this is important. Whether people like to admit it or not, they like a little mystery. Never ever tell them about your previous relationships, no previous marriages, nothing of the sort. Also, when you feel like sharing something, it would be wise to pick and choose out of the least important details of your life. Make it so they become interested in your personality, not who you actually are. If they're a keeper, and as more dates unfold, more interesting details about your life will unfold as well. You'll become something like a novel. Turns and twists and surprises around every corner. This method will entirely engulf your date in complete enchantment. Trust me.
3. Be almost overly courteous. Now, due to the customs of modern day dating, you don't necessarily have to pull a chair out for you date. Just make sure that you are extra polite in word and make sure that you speak slowly and softly. Also refrain from talking too much about yourself unless asked. Then you must make your answers short and to the point. And make sure you give your date plenty of turns to talk. If you can, also try to add a little joke between conversation. Just, for the love of all that you hold dear, don't make it dirty. I don't care how dirty your date decides to be.
4. Keep it non-sexual and even go so far as to ask them to do the same. If you truly want to get to know this person, and your not looking for a quickie, you absolutely need to keep it clean. And make sure that this continues for the first several dates. I have found that the longer you keep it this way, the longer you stay together and the more magical it is when you begin entering a different kind of relationship.
5. Last but not least, be yourself. It's truly that simple. Again, if you plan on making the relationship last, they must know who you are at the start. No matter how hard you try, your true self with come out sooner or later and the person you've been dating will be shocked and maybe even a little weirded out to see such a large change in your behavior. Just a note: your date will most likely be able to tell that you're not being yourself and see you as someone without confidence. So unless you're willing to risk it all, or you're a dishonest, psychological mastermind, don't try it. And know that if they are not happy with who you are at the start, it might be better to move on to the next candidate.
Hopefully that all made perfect sense. Thank you all for reading and good luck!